Sunday, May 25, 2008

May 25th - Cotswolds continued


Jesse got up super early and took more pictures of the town. pics, pics and more pics

We had a good English breakfast of eggs on toast, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms and beans... yes beans.
Then we drove up to this place called the Slaughters - which sounds like a terribly bloody place but actually slaughter just means muddy. It definitely rained enough that day to warrant the name.
They had an Old Mill there with a water wheel and just off the main road was a pasture with sheep. I wanted to stay and live there.
Then we went to Stratford-upon-Avon to see Ann Hathaway's house (Shakespeare's wife). It has the most beautiful wildflower garden I've seen and a thatched roof, which I had not seen before.
We also went to the Holy Trinity Church where Shakespeare is buried (and was baptized - they still have the font he was baptized in) This church made the one in Burford look small and run-down. It's hard to imagine how old things can be over here and still be around.
In America, something is old if it dates back to the Civil War. It's really old if it dates to Revolutionary times.
Here... things seem to be 400 years old on average. It's not uncommon to find buildings dating back to the 15th or 12th century.
Jesse's camera ran out of memory on this day so alot of the pictures from the church and house are on his mother's camera. As soon as I get them, I'll post them as well.

"I love my family. But quite a few times on this trip I wondered if we should even make an attempt at civility. We're loud, boisterous, and we take up a lot of space wherever we go. Granted, I'd have it no other way.
When the family decided to leave for Stratford, we all clunked down the tiny stairwell and trampled our way outside. We all piled into the van and dug our feet in. Outside, next to us was another British family, talking to each other while witnessing our American spectacle. While Doran (my stepfather) was steadily maneuvering the 14-passenger tank out of a space meant for a Mini Cooper, I said, in my best UK accent, "Oh, so the Clampett's are leaving, they are." You would've thought my grandfather was having a heart attack. He literally was hurting himself due to his exuberant laughter. Even after the main outpouring of laughter, he chuckled about that for the rest of the van ride. I guess that joke really hit home with him."

No comments: